oil on canvas 16” x 12”
Adrianus Eversen was a painter of landscapes, particularly scenes of Amsterdam, the city of his birth and where he lived and exhibited between 1814 and 1824. He is recorded as having been a pupil of Cornelis de Kruyff (1774-1828) and studied with his contemporary, Cornelis Springer (1817-1891), the acknowledged master of the nineteenth century Dutch townscapes and was thus exposed to the genre in which he was to be so successful and highly regarded.
Eversen was to compete with Springer for patrons throughout their lives. He lived and worked in Amsterdam, exhibiting between 1840 and 1885, also exhibiting in The Hague in 1859 and 1861, and Leeuwarden in 1863. Such consistancy to the city of his birth would indicate a high degree of success and demand for his town views. In 1889 Eversen moved to Rotterdam and died in Delft in 1897.
Adrianus Eversen was a highly regarded artist during his lifetime; he became a member of the ‘Arts and Amicitae’ in 1863, an association of artists, and was widely collected in Holland and also Great Britain. The noted collector, John Sheepshanks, the nucleus of whose collection was left to the Victorian and Albert Museum, owned works by Eversen whose widespread appeal was, and remains, the detailed topographical nature of his compositions, together with their animation, the harmonious relationship he achieves betweeen staffage and topography.
His works can be found in museums in: Alkmaar; Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum and Museum Fodor; Enkhuizen and The Hague.